Many thanks, Toby.

Reading between the lines of the howto you referred to, I think, if I am not
mistaken, that the problem was that the monolithic-to-individual-package
migration path built into 3.4.0 was removed from 3.4.1.  Somehow this left
the kde-3.4.0 ebuild hanging around as a kind of ghost even though all the
individual kde packages updated to 3.4.1.

Running "emerge -C kde" didn't remove any actual kde packages, but it did
clear the blockage and has allowed "emerge -u world" to proceed as it should.

On July 9, 2005 04:53 pm Toby Cubitt was like:

--
Robert Persson

"Don't use nuclear weapons to troubleshoot faults."
(US Air Force Instruction 91-111, 1 Oct 1997)