A. Khattri wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, Jarry wrote:
>

>>Pardon for my ignorance, but what do you mean with "Linux raid-1 rather
>>than the software raid"??? Is it not the same? Or do you mean some
>>hw-raid?
>>

>Some motherboards claim to have RAID built-in but really it is software
>RAID in the BIOS. Linux's software RAID is usually better though. I think
>this is what was implied.
>

>>BTW, I'm already on the track of my problem:
>>After booting (actually not booting) I entered into that "maintenance
>>mode" and found out, that there are no /dev/md? files (although I
>>created them during installation)! Why??? Should not udev create them
>>automatically? Or did I misconfigured something concerning udev/devfs
>>in kernel?
>>

>Firstly, is RAID support built-in to your kernel? Also did you set the
>partition types to "Linux raid autodetect" when running fdisk?

Just an FYI, the md driver does not create sysfs entries and thus udev
does not create device nodes if autodetection is not performed by the
driver.  Autodetection is not performed if either:

1. The md driver is a module (not a problem according to your original
email)
2. You are using an initramfs (vs an initrd) to bring up the system
3. or if you do not have the right partition types defined.

-Richard