Michael Haan <michael.haan <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I guess what I'm trying to figure out is what exists either in
> gentoo-space specifically, or linux-space generally (in that order)
> for working with GPRS.

GSM-GPRS is virtually a TCP/IP highway. All you need is ppp or TCP/IP
on top of it. If you get service from T mobile (or whoever) and you
tell them you want to use it for Internet access, they'll sell you cables
that plug into your usb/serial/zigbee/bluetooth/pccard or irda port. I'm pretty
sure it's just ppp over a physical connection with GSM-GPRS.

Not positive though...
If the vendor give you crap that only MS/Apple work, just sniff
the connection.

emerge -s gsm reveals:

 app-mobilephone/gsmlib
      Latest version available: 1.11_pre030826
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 465 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.pxh.de/fs/gsmlib/
      License:     LGPL-2

*  media-sound/gsm
      Latest version available: 1.0.10
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 64 kB
      Homepage:    http://kbs.cs.tu-berlin.de/~jutta/toast.html
      License:     OSI-Approved

Googling for 'GPRS linux' produces a wealth of useful information.

http://www.developertutorials.com/tutorials/wireless-technology/
linux-wireless-networking-050504/page4.html

HTH

James