Thanks all. It's fixed. When I ran "dosfsck /dev/hda5" I got the error:

Logical sector size is zero

So I re-created the file system with "mkfs -t vfat -F 32 /dev/hda5"
(after backing up all my files!) and now it mounts properly. Not sure I
understand it because I hadn't run the mkfs command on hda1 either. I
formatted both from Win98.

Thanks again,

Alex