Hello,

I also have this video card.

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005, Mark Knecht wrote:

Converting my last FC machine to Gentoo since it didn't survive an FC2
to FC4 upgrade.

Questions:

1) Is the VIDEO_CARDS= setting in /etc/make.conf still considered the
right way to configure a new machine for a specific card?

Yes it is the right way but only used by the x11-drm package.

If you want dri to work you also have to emerge xorg with the 'insecure-drivers' USE flag. That's right, the dri drivers for this video card are considered insecure...

2) If the answer to #1 is yes then what's the right setting for a 3D
Rage Pro? (I.e. - where's the list of legal names?)

The 3D Rage Pro has uses a mach64 chip so the right setting is VIDEO_CARDS="mach64".

Finally, here is my video card section in xorg.conf:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Card0"
        Driver          "ati"
        VendorName      "ATI"