On 00:03 Sat 16 Jul     , Richard Fish wrote:
> Bill Roberts wrote:
>
> >Richard
> >
> >I tried all of your suggestions, without success. See inline comments:
> >
> >Note device and monitor section of xorg.conf at end:
> >
> >I've had one further idea. I have a 4-port kvm switch (Cybex), it has
> >never interferred with anything in the past four or five years. Wonder
> >if. . . , maybe that could be having an effect.
> >
> >One other thought. In full screen, ever other line is black, giving
> >the awful looking screen. Couldn't that have something to do with
> >interlacing?? Wish I understood all of this better.
>
> Oh, one more thing.  Modelines can be an issue, but only if VMWare and X
> are running at different resolutions or color depths.  For example, my
> normal laptop resolution is 1600x1200.  If I go fullscreen VMWare at
> 1600x1200 or 1280x1024, everything works normally.  However there is
> also a 1400x1050 mode in XP, but my hardware doesn't seem to support
> that resolution, so if I try to go fullscreen, I get a resolution that
> results in a corrupted display for the right 1/3 of the screen.
>
> So it is possible that a particular modeline could fix that issue for
> me, and may be related to why you had to specify modelines previously.
> But if the resolution and depth are the same, then the same modeline
> should apply whether VMWare is fullscreen or not, AFAIK.

I finally solved the mystery. I copied the modelines generated by the
Knoppix 3.6 CD for this monitor into the Monitor section of xorg.conf,
and, voila!!, the full screen issues disappeared. Vmware now works
like a charm. Maybe it will do something for my mplayer/mythtv issues.

Thanks, Richard, for your ideas. They helped me narrow down the
potential problems, and eventually solve the problem itself.

Bill Roberts