>>> Sounds like it could be a security constraint.  A locked screen
>>> shouldn't allow much more than password input.  You can't input the
>>> password with the non-en layout? Too bad :-(.
>>
>> That doesn't sound optimistic. Does it?
>> The problem is it used to be working.
>> And the widget to switch kb layouts is still there.
>> But it doesn't work as expected.
>> And yep. The damn password is all ascii. Too bad.
>> I've just found this is not the only problem I'm having
>> with i18n in kde. For some reason I can't switch encodings in
>> kde editors either.
>> I should mention this happened after massive system cleanup.
>> Removed gnome and a bunch of multimedia soft I didn't need any more.
>> Followed by usual depcleans and revdep-rebuilds.
>> Didn't find any inconsistences in installed ebuilds though.
>> So the challenge still stands and all suggestions welcome.
>
> I wasn't aware that such a widget existed.  If I knew how to make the
> widget appear and switch keyboard layouts then I would gladly test it
> for you on my end.

Thanks. Would be good if you have time for this.
I think you have to add an extra kb layout for the widget to show up
in session unlock screen. I'm using en_US and ru.
BTW what I said above of not being able to switch encodings in kde
editors isn't true. Early birds have big eyes they say:)
I probably didn't select proper encoding when saving non-en document.
So it's all question marks (3f hex). No wonder I couldn't get the
encoding right.
Thanks for your help,
Sasha