On 7/17/05, Daniel Drake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
> > What's throwing me is that the libraw1394 emerge makes this limited
> > complaint:

> > Required /dev/raw1394 device file not found.
> > Run 'make dev' to create it.
>
> This is more suited for the old-style 'static' /dev, where /dev was just a
> load of device nodes stored on disk.
>
> With more modern solutions (devfs/udev), you don't ever have to worry about
> creating device nodes, they are created automatically when the appropriate
> driver is loaded. Its safe to ignore this warning on Gentoo.
>
> > It seems to me that if the device was moved by either udev or the
> > Gentoo developers then shouldn't this package have been modified to
> > understand that and not throw a message like this? Or is there
> > possibly supposed to be a link of some type from /dev/raw1394 to
> > /dev/raw/raw1394?
>
> I forgot about this one. This is a udev rule problem, which is supposed to
> deal with other raw devices, but not raw1394. It's been fixed for future udev
> versions, but for now, you can do this:
>
> # echo 'KERNEL="raw1394", SYMLINK="%k"' > /etc/udev/rules.d/10-raw1394.rules
> # udevstart
>
> Daniel
> --

Thank you Daniel. That's exactly what I was looking for:

godzilla ~ # echo 'KERNEL="raw1394", SYMLINK="%k"' >
/etc/udev/rules.d/10-raw1394.rules
godzilla ~ # udevstart
godzilla ~ # ls -al /dev/raw
raw/     raw1394
godzilla ~ # ls -al /dev/raw1394
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 11 Jul 17 15:50 /dev/raw1394 -> raw/raw1394
godzilla ~ # 1394commander
1394commander 0.1.1
Copyright (C) 2002-2004 by Manfred Weihs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
This software comes with absolutely no warranty.

No adapter specified!
successfully got handle
current generation number (driver): 2
2 card(s) found
  nodes on bus:  2, card name: ohci1394
  nodes on bus:  1, card name: ohci1394
using adapter 0
found: 2 nodes on bus, local ID is 1, IRM is 1
current generation number (adapter): 1

entering command mode
Type 'help' for more information!
Command: