Hi,

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 13:06:29 +0100
"Steve [Gentoo]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've noticed the directories /etc/cron.daily; /etc/cron.hourly;
> /etc/cron.monthly etc. and therein a bunch of non-user-specific
> administration tasks... For example, in ./etc/cron.daily I've
> logrotate.cron and rulesdujour - but none of these appear to have run in
> the last month.  Are thse system tasks supposed to be fired
> automatically by fcron?  What would be the easiest way to get all my
> periodic system administration tasks defined in these directories to be
> fired automatically?  Did I make a sensible choice with fcron?

Can't tell much about fcron (esp. if its config syntax is similar to my
vixie-cron), but for me, vixie-cron installed a /etc/crontab that
contains the following lines:

0  *  * * *     root    rm -f /var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.hourly
1  3  * * *     root    rm -f /var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.daily
15 4  * * 6     root    rm -f /var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.weekly
30 5  1 * *     root    rm -f /var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.monthly
*/10  *  * * *  root    test -x /usr/sbin/run-crons && /usr/sbin/run-crons

this does the job.

-hwh