On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Joseph wrote:

I wasn't thinking about masking KDE but gcc-3.4.1 on AMD64 platform and
make stable 3.3 version.  I run onto one posting claiming that there is
some kind of bug in gcc-3.4.1 (and this version is the only stable
version on AMD64.

I think that if you use cutting edge hardware you also need to use cutting edge software. For example the newer your kernel, the better support it probably has for your hardware.

It is the same with gcc, the newer the version the better your chances that issues with new processors like amd64 are fixed. It's building the code for your processor after all.

Consequently, you also need to use the newest software versions as they often have bugs fixed in order to support that new gcc...

--
T.G.