Something very similar happened to me. baselayout-1.12.0_pre1-r1 was emerged in the past day or two, and the next time I rebooted, it hung up on what at first seemed to be having issues loading alsa. The boot did get into runlevel 3, so I was able to get in remotely and mess around. After pruning various things from the startup routine, it turned out to be sys-apps/dbus causing the problem for me. I removed that from the init sequence, rebooted, and everything is back to normal (or seems to be).

I'm not familiar with dbus, but it was a dependency of evolution, and the very simple description of the "dbus" use flag seemed innocuous enough.

I'm still running on baselayout-1.12.0_pre1-r1.

Regards,
Chris

        *        Chris Woods || [EMAIL PROTECTED]        *
        *        AIM: gnarrlybob || ICQ: 21740987         *
        *    Yahoo: cjwoods || MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    *
        * Jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED] || http://bitspace.org *