> Used versions
> -----------------------
> cdrecord: 2.1.1a77
>
> cdrecord
> -----------------------
> scsidev: '/dev/hdd'
> devname: '/dev/hdd'
> scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
> Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.
> Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
> SCSI buffer size: 64512
> /usr/bin/cdrecord: Warning: Cannot read drive buffer.
> /usr/bin/cdrecord: Warning: The DMA speed test has been skipped.
> Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 2.01.01a77 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C)
> 1995-2010 JÃ?rg Schilling
> TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
> Using libscg version 'schily-0.9'.
> Driveropts: 'burnfree'
> atapi: 1
> Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
> Version        : 0
> Response Format: 2
> Capabilities   :
> Vendor_info    : 'Optiarc '
> Identifikation : 'DVD RW AD-7200A '
> Revision       : '1.05'
> Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM.
> Current: DVD+RW
> Profile: DVD+R/DL
> Profile: DVD+R
> Profile: DVD+RW (current)
> Profile: DVD-R/DL layer jump recording
> Profile: DVD-R/DL sequential recording
> Profile: DVD-RW sequential recording
> Profile: DVD-RW restricted overwrite
> Profile: DVD-RAM
> Profile: DVD-R sequential recording
> Profile: DVD-ROM
> Profile: CD-RW
> Profile: CD-R
> Profile: CD-ROM
> Profile: Removable Disk
> Using generic SCSI-3/mmc-3 DVD+RW driver (mmc_dvdplusrw).
> Driver flags   : NO-CD DVD MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
> Supported modes: PACKET SAO LAYER_JUMP
> Drive buf size : 1245184 = 1216 KB
> FIFO size      : 4194304 = 4096 KB
> Track 01: data  2591 MB
> Total size:     2591 MB = 1326592 sectors
> Current Secsize: 2048
> Trying to clear drive status.
> Blocks total: 2295104 Blocks current: 2295104 Blocks remaining: 968512
> Reducing transfer size from 64512 to 32768 bytes.
> Starting to write CD/DVD/BD at speed 4 in real SAO mode for single session.
> Last chance to quit, starting real write in 3 seconds.
>     2 seconds.
>     1 seconds.
>     0 seconds. Operation starts.
> Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ... input buffer ready.
> Starting new track at sector: 0
> Track 02:    0 of 2591 MB written.
> /usr/bin/cdrecord: Success. write_g1: scsi sendcmd: no error
> CDB:  2A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 10 00
> status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
> Sense Bytes: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 73 03 00 00
> Sense Key: 0x3 Medium Error, Segment 0
> Sense Code: 0x73 Qual 0x03 (power calibration area error) Fru 0x0
> Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
> resid: 32768
> [...]

Now we have an error message but there is no information on the media.

Please run "cdrecord -atip" with the failing medium.

DVD+RW is a medium with well known deficits in drive media compatibility and
there is also low quality media.

As nothing has been written, your problem youd be a result of a drive media
compatibility problem. This may be a result from writing the media with a
different drive before. You may try to call "cdrecord -v -force -format" in
order to reformat the medium before writing to it.

Note that the mein difference between DVD- (the standard) and DVD+
(a Philips/Sony vendor specific system) is that the DVD Forum frequently runs
round robin tests for drive media compatibility. The tests are run in a way that
every media is written with every writer and read with every reader.

Jörg

--
 EMail:jo...@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
       j...@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)