On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 11:20:02 +0200, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote about Re:
[gentoo-user] OT:Choosing a filesystem:

[snip]
>A question to LVM: As much as I know, LVM combines several partition
>to one big partition, and if one partition fails, at least other
>others of that volume are damaged, too.

Disks fail.  Sectors fail.  Partitions do not fail.  Logical volumes do
not fail.

If your disk fails you lose *all* partitions on it.

If some sectors fail, the file(s) backed by those sectors will be
corrupted -- regardless of filesystem type.  If the defective sectors
back a filesystem's superblock or other infrastructure, you could well
lose the filesystem; but most modern filesystems keep redundant copies
of their infrastructure, and fsck can sometimes recover.

>What is the advantage of using LVM and several small partitions
>instead of one in the size of the sum of the others and not using
>LVM?

LVM provides immense flexibility in creating, deleting and expanding
filesystems.  Once you get used to using LVM, which is not difficult,
you will never go back to partitions.
--
Regards,

Dave  [RLU #314465]