On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 10:54 AM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 10:33 AM, Denis <denis....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have an optical out on my on-board Intel Hi Def audio controller
>> (also an Intel motherboard) and wanted to route the optical output to
>> my receiver, so I could play internet radio on my home audio system.
>> I got everything plugged in, but the receiver didn't pick up any
>> signal (I made sure all the right settings are selected on the
>> receiver).
>>
>> So my question...  Is optical output supported in ALSA and the driver
>> for Intel High Definition audio controller?  Do I have to compile with
>> any specific flags to get it working?
>
> Check the file /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio-Models.txt
> and maybe you need to specify which model of HD-Audio chip your're
> using to enable the extra ports. I've never had much success with
> "auto" actually autodetecting the proper set-up.

Also, the digital output may show up as a different playback device in
ALSA, so you may need to specify this in whatever program you're
using. For example:

$ aplay -l
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC889 Analog [ALC889 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC889 Digital [ALC889 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0