>> > I think that its better to have things done even if would be around then
>> > dont done it at all. :)
>>
>> Yes but I think I should find the built-in mechanism which was
>> allowing it to work before instead of writing my own script to make it
>> work.  Don't you think so?
>>
>> - Grant
>>
> Try built in Gnome\Kde\Xfce(etc) bindings i had some troubles (in xfce)
> - keys with names XF86* starts to randomly changes names or disappear
> from configs ... maybe its Your case too.
> --
> Bartosz Szatkowski

Got it, thank you for your help with this.  I used xbacklight along
with the xfce4 keyboard shortcut GUI settings.  My backlight
adjustment keystrokes are displayed as XF86MonBrightnessUp and *Down
in those settings, so there must have been a mechanism adjusting the
backlight based on that before I updated Xorg.  Here are my xbacklight
commands:

xbacklight -inc 15 -steps 1 -time 0
xbacklight -dec 10 -steps 1 -time 0

Thanks again,