On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 18:43:41 -0400, dhk wrote:

> While setting up a new disk I accidentally ran "mke2fs /dev/sda1"
> instead of "mke2fs /dev/hda1".  When I realized the mistake (about 2
> seconds later) I hit Ctrl-C before mke2fs was done.  Now I can't
> mount the drive.  Is there a way to read the drive to get the data off
> or is it unrecoverable?

The data is still there, mke2fs just reset the superblock. Photorec will
recover file contents from a filesystem like this. It only recovers the
contents, not the metadata, so you'll end up with files with meaningless
names, but as they are video files I suspect there are not too many of
them and they are fairly easy to identify. At least it's less work than
importing and editing them all again.

--
Neil Bothwick

I am in total control, but don't tell my wife.