On 5 May 2010, at 18:24, Florian Philipp wrote:
man inotify(7):
... When a directory is monitored, inotify will return events for the
directory itself, and for files inside the directory.

To repeat my comment on Iain's original "backup to a cold-swap drive"
thread ...

Sorry, I started ignoring that almost immediately it was posted. He rejected too quickly too many workable solutions to basically functional backup. Perhaps Iain is a perfectionist, but I did not wish to follow the thread.

... Inotify has two drawbacks which make it hard or even impossible
to use for Iain's use case:

a) It does not work recursively which means that you have to create a
new handle for each subdirectory. Of course, this only means more work
for the programmer but there is also the problem that

Pardon me. I assumed that "files inside the directory" meant that foo would be be changed when foo/bar changed, thus monitoring grunt would reflect changes in grunt/foo/bar. I overlooked that a directory is not a file.

Stroller.