On 6 May 2010 09:37, Roger Mason <rma...@mun.ca> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I just built a new machine (celeron 3 GHz) using a script that builds
> the kernel using genkernel and a config that is copied from that of the
> kernel on the install cd.  The latter was downloaded and burned from a
> very recent autobuild.
>
> The build process appears to complete successfully, with nothing
> untoward in the logs.  However, the machine will not boot but hangs at
> this point in the process:
>
> root (hd0,0)
>
> Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
> kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.32-gentoo-r7 root=/dev/ram0
> init=linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda3 vga=791
>
> [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x3000, size=0x2a8d80]
>
> This is the grub.conf:
>
> default 0
> timeout 5
>
> title Gentoo genkernel-x86-2.6.32-gentoo-r7
> root (hd0,0)
>
> kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.32-gentoo-r7 root=/dev/ram0
> init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda3 vga=791
> initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.32-gentoo-r7
>
> I have verified that the names of the kernel and initrd on the disk
> match those in grub.conf.  In any case a wrong filename is usually
> signalled as 'not found' during the boot process.
>
> Can anyone suggest how to debug this?

When I get problems like this I usually run grub in a terminal and
then use autocompletion to find out what grub sees:

root (hd      <--tab

it will list all partitions and hopefully help you find your boot partition.

Then search for the kernel image:  kernel /boot/       <--tab

If you have chosen the correct grub root partition you should find
your kernel image in there.
--
Regards,
Mick