I am using kile under gnome to edit latex files.  Its ok, but I am
having problems with the spell checker - it works and does the job
except it cant "add to dictionary" so once I restart kile, I have to
start again with every discrepancy picked up by the spell checker.

I suspect its because of using it under gnome there is no way to set a
personal dictionary. Ive installed kcontrol which is apparently what you
use in KDE to set the dictionaries, but I cant see how to set a personal
dictionary.  Maybe I need to install/run a full kde to set it? - then
will it stay set under gnome?

Any help appreciated!

BillK