On Samstag 22 Mai 2010, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 05/22/2010 07:59 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
> > On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 1:21 AM, Nikos Chantziaras<rea...@arcor.de>
wrote:
> >> Latency is the delay between giving the order to play a sound and the
> >> sound actually being played.  It's usually around 30ms here with
> >> ALSA/dmix, and around 10ms with OSS/vmix.  It's not funny trying to
> >> play something in a software synth with a keyboard when having a 30ms
> >> latency.
> >
> > As I said, you're doing it wrong. No "normal" (average desktop, media
> > center, laptop, linux-phone) user needs 10ms of latency in audio.
> > That's overkill. Yours is a special case, and you need special
> > software. Try Jack.
>
> I don't do professional audio.  I have a normal PC.  And just like I
> sometimes use a synth in Windows (I'm just a hobbyist), I'd like to do
> the same in Linux.
>
> Windows: I don't need Jack there.  Audio latency is low even with
> non-ASIO drivers.
>
> Linux: I suddenly need "Jack" and specialty hacks and must do without a
> mixer!  No thanks.  OSSv4 allows me to use my machine in the same manner
> as Windows: It just works and does the right thing regardless of the
> application I'm running.
>
> ALSA/Pulse needing third-party stuff just to get basics right
> (acceptable latency; not *ultra* low latency, just acceptable one) is a
> sign that they're not designed right.
>
> And OSS4 dying because of kernel-mixing is a bit far-stretched.  "No FP
> mixing in kernel" is Linux-specific.  Other kernels don't have a problem
> with that.
>
> And in the end, you know what?  Even if OSS4 had a broken design, it's
> still better, because it works better.  At least it gets the basics
> right.  Other operating systems are much more advanced in that manner.
> It's ALSA that holds Linux audio back.

in case that it works at all. OSSv4 fucked up very hard here.

And for some magical reasons, I have no problem at all with latencies.

But sometimes you complain about latencies, and when people showing up, that
lats are not a problem, you switch over to 'volume' and 'mixing'. Just to
ignore the facts presented there.

Go troll somewhere else. Maybe the OSS fanboy mailing list.