On 05/22/2010 01:10 PM, David Relson wrote:

  * Unable to determine VM for building from dependencies:
  *   Failed to determine VM for building.

Well, I've seen those error messages more than once.  If I were
half-a-bottle more sober, I'm sure I could remember how I fixed
the problem.

Gentoo offers two (competing?) ways to specify the system-vm.

#eselect java-vm
Usage: eselect java-vm <action> <options>
Extra actions:
  list                      List Available Virtual Machines
  set                       Set a new system or user vm
  show                      Show the current vm

#java-config
Usage: java-config [options]
  -L, --list-available-vms
                        List available Java Virtual Machines
  -S VM, --set-system-vm=VM
                        Set the default Java VM for the system

I seem to recall that the important things changed by these two
gizmos are some symlinks like, for example:

/etc/java-config-2/current-system-vm -> /usr/lib/jvm//sun-jdk-1.6/
/usr/bin/java -> run-java-tool

Maybe I can remember more details tomorrow.