My cable internet outlet is across the room from my TV, and my Gentoo
desktop attaches to my TV.  I'm using a small wireless router to send
the signal from the cable modem to my Gentoo system across the room.
I don't like using a non-Gentoo decision-making device in my network,
but I also don't want to build and maintain another Gentoo system for
only firewall/router duties.  Am I overlooking another option?  I want
a "dumb" device to move the ethernet connection from one side of the
room to the other.

There may not be anything like that.  I just thought I'd ask.

- Grant