J. Roeleveld writes:

> > > Probably your graphicscard uses the rest of the memory.
> >
> > Oh, thanks! Did not think about this. It's an ATI Radeon HD4300
> > onboard card, so I guess this must be the cause. Seems like I will
> > have to do the migration to 64bit then.

> Wonko,
>
> If your graphics card uses up the rest of the memory, moving up to
> 64bit won't help either.

Shouldn't I have 4GB minus the amount of graphics memory then, instead of
3G minus that?
But I plan to add more memory anyway. With at least 6GB, and better 8GB,
the graphics memory will not matter that much then. But I have to go to a
64bit system for this.

> Check in your BIOS to see if you can reduce the amount your graphics
> card uses. For 'normal' desktop use, around 64MB should be more then
> sufficient and if you have 4GB physically in your system you should
> then see more memory appear.

Good idea! Thanks, I will have a look there.

BTW, this is part of my lshw output:
       *-display
            product: Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
            vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
            physical id: 5
            bus info: p...@0000:01:05.0
            version: 00
            width: 32 bits
            clock: 33MHz
            capabilities: pm msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
            configuration: driver=fglrx_pci latency=0
            resources: irq:18 memory:d0000000-dfffffff(prefetchable)
ioport:ee00(size=256) memory:fdfe0000-fdfeffff memory:fde00000-fdefffff

d0000000-dfffffff is 255M, fde00000-fdefffff is 1M. So I lose 1/4 G for
graphics memory.

        Wonko