On Wednesday 09 June 2010 02:04:28 Jake Moe wrote:
> On 09/06/10 09:58, Alex Schuster wrote:
> > Jake Moe writes:
> >> j...@aus10224 ~ $ ssh -Y jhb5970
> >> Password:
> >> Last login: Wed Jun  9 08:05:09 EST 2010 from 192.168.0.114 on pts/0
> >> j...@jhb5970 ~ $ firefox
> >> Error: no display specified
> >> j...@jhb5970 ~ $ konqueror
> >> konqueror: cannot connect to X server
> >> j...@jhb5970 ~ $
> >
> > Try "echo $DISPLAY", this should give something like localhost:10.0. If
> > it is empty, the forwarding did not work. I guess you have to set
> > X11Forwarding to yes in /etc/ssh/sshd_config on jhb5970, and restart ssh
> > with /etc/init.d/sshd restart. /etc/init.d/sshd reload should also work.
> >
> >     Wonko
>
> Excellent, thanks for that.  I had read about that config option, but it
> sounded like it only needed to be set if you wanted all ssh connections
> globally to have X11Forwarding turned on, or you use ssh -Y for a single
> connection.
>
> Jake Moe

The SSH-server needs to support it.
If the SSH-server does not have this option enabled (in the sshd_config), the
"-Y" flag does not work when connecting to that server.

If you set the flag in the client-configuration (ssh_config, note, no 'D') then
it will add the '-Y' option by default to all outgoing ssh-connection
attempts.

Hope this makes sense?

--
Joost Roeleveld