My personal workstation is a dual-boot setup with Gentoo and Windows XP.
A long time ago, I set up Samba on another computer on my network to
provide extra hard drive space to our Windows installations.  They used
to work, but we haven't used them in some time.  I tried to use it today
and it didn't work.  When I try to connect to the samba share from my
linux install, I get this:

mich...@camille ~ $ smbclient //carter//home
Enter michael's password:
Domain=[MYGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.6]
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME
mich...@camille ~ $ smbclient //carter//michael
Enter michael's password:
Domain=[MYGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.6]
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

(The host name is carter, and I didn't understand what the second part
should be.)
Also, I didn't know if "michael's password" meant my password on my
local box, my password on the remote box, or some password I set up for
Samba forever ago...

Here's my /etc/samba/smb.conf file:

carter samba # cat smb.conf
[global]
   workgroup = MYGROUP
   server string = Samba Server %v
   printcap name = cups
   load printers = yes
   printing = cups
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 50
   hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.
   map to guest = bad user
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   dns proxy = no

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
   valid users = michael amy
   path = /samba

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
   guest ok = no
   writable = no
   printable = yes

[print$]
   path = /var/lib/samba/printers
   browseable = yes
   read only = yes
   write list = @adm root
   guest ok = yes

[tmp]
   comment = Temporary file space
   path = /samba
   read only = no
   public = yes
   valid users = michael amy

I'm sure I've screwed something up somewhere, I'm just not sure what it
is.