On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 11:39 AM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 12:58 PM, Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>

>> real    94m25.632s
>> user    246m19.420s
>> sys     36m19.092s
>> c2stable ~ #
>>
>> Even though i have 12 processor threads you can see the effectivity is
>> more like 3 or 4 1 overall. A lot of the kde compile only uses 1 or 2
>> cores per package and then there's a lot of time spent waiting for
>> hard drives, etc.
>
> Try adding -j to emerge and watch it truly maximize your cores. When I
> emerged KDE it was compiling something like 90 packages
> simultaneously.

Does seems to help although this is apples and oranges. My previous
build was the newest kde-4.4.4 on the 980x without using -j on the
emerge. Yesterday afternoon I tried emerge -j5 -DuN @world on an
i5-661 machine I also built for my dad. That emerge also included the
newest kde and total was close to 350 ebuild. It completed in maybe
2-2.5 hours which is good. IIRC when I first built KDE on that machine
it took maybe 4 hours? Not sure. Anyway, the emerge -j helped, but on
the downside emerge died twice in the process complaining about
something. If I restarted emerge it didn't fail the second time and
continued on until it died again, and I had to restart it again.

I think I read here about others having that problem. Nothing was bad
in the end, and everything got done, but it took a little more hand
holding.

Thanks for the pointer.

Cheers,
Mark