On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 1:35 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > The build error is before this. Please post that.
>> >
>> > Everything below is various elogs to tell you that an error occured, not
>> > what it is.
>> >

>> > --
>> > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
>>
>> Yeah, should have posted more. Sorry.
>>
>> Hopefully this will get you far enough back to take a guess. Seems
>> that libpng12.la doesn't exist and indeed that file isn't there.
>
> Missing libpng.so?
>
> Hah, the dev responsible for that ought to be shot. It wreaked havoc with
> ~arch a few months back, it's all in the archives in it's full glory.
>
> The libpng ebuild has this message at the end, it's in your elogs:
>
> "Run /usr/sbin/libpng-1.4.x-update.sh to fix libtool archives (.la)"
>
> If stable is anything like unstable was, expect a long frustrating sequence of
> revdep-rebuild and preserved-rebuild to fix it all.
>
> Personally, this is one of those things that I fixed and forgot all about
> (that's how frustrating it was). For the true facts, get the list archives.
>

> --
> alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Thanks. I'll give that a try in a minute. I found that running
revdep-rebuild -i first failed showing the same sort of error and then
the second time passed showing now errors:

* Messages for package mail-client/evolution-2.28.3.1:

 * To change the default browser if you are not using GNOME, do:
 * gconftool-2 --set /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/http/command -t
string 'mozilla %s'
 * gconftool-2 --set /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/https/command -t
string 'mozilla %s'
 *
 * Replace 'mozilla %s' with which ever browser you use.
 *
 * Junk filters are now a run-time choice. You will get a choice of
 * bogofilter or spamassassin based on which you have installed
 *
 * You have to install one of these for the spam filtering to actually work
>>> Auto-cleaning packages...

>>> No outdated packages were found on your system.

 * GNU info directory index is up-to-date.

!!! existing preserved libs:
>>> package: media-libs/libpng-1.4.3
 *  - /usr/lib64/libpng12.so
 *  - /usr/lib64/libpng12.so.0
 *  - /usr/lib64/libpng12.so.0.43.0
 *      used by
/opt/icedtea6-bin-1.8.0/jre/lib/amd64/libsplashscreen.so
(dev-java/icedtea6-bin-1.8.0)
 *      used by /usr/bin/baobab (gnome-extra/gnome-utils-2.28.3)
 *      used by /usr/bin/blackjack (gnome-extra/gnome-games-2.28.2)
 *      used by 152 other files
Use emerge @preserved-rebuild to rebuild packages using these libraries
 * Build finished correctly. Removing temporary files...
 *
 * You can re-run revdep-rebuild to verify that all libraries and binaries
 * are fixed. Possible reasons for remaining inconsistencies include:
 *   orphaned files
 *   deep dependencies
 *   packages installed outside of portage's control
 *   specially-evaluated libraries
c2stable ~ # revdep-rebuild -ip
 * Configuring search environment for revdep-rebuild

 * Checking reverse dependencies
 * Packages containing binaries and libraries broken by a package update
 * will be emerged.

 * Collecting system binaries and libraries
 * Generated new 1_files.rr
 * Collecting complete LD_LIBRARY_PATH
 * Generated new 2_ldpath.rr
 * Checking dynamic linking consistency
[ 100% ]

 * Dynamic linking on your system is consistent... All done.
c2stable ~ #

emerge -p @preserved-rebuild still wants to build stuff so I'm
confused as the to the values of preserved-rebuild vs revdep-rebuild.
Things are getting confusing...

OK - tried your command but it's unclear whether it did anything:

c2stable ~ # /usr/sbin/libpng-1.4.x-update.sh
 * Fixing broken libtool archives (.la)
c2stable ~ #

emerge @preserved-rebuild is now running again. I'll post back results later.

Thanks,