Am 27.06.2010 17:07, schrieb Peter Humphrey:
> On Sunday 27 June 2010 12:15:50 Enrico Weigelt wrote:
>
>> is there yet a way to get the portage tree directly via git ?
>>
>> IMHO this should be more traffic efficient than rsync in the
>> long run (especially when syncing often).
>
> I sometimes wonder whether I should file a feature request on rsync, to
> make it offer a mode in which only directories in which it does something
> are listed on stdout. I shudder to think of the CPU cycles that are
> wasted daily on scrolling all those directory names up the screen during
> an emerge --sync. 21293 of them on this box today, altogether.

It has been discussed on gentoo-dev some months ago. Some people were
afraid that git would use too many file stats on every operation to be
usable (performance-wise). I don't know the outcome of that discussion.
Part of it probably took place on IRC. Maybe someone more interested
than me can read it up and summarize?

Hope this helps,
Florian Philipp