On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 5:06 PM, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 12 July 2010 22:59:59 Paul Hartman wrote:
>> In my experience, the small PS/2 to USB mouse adapters like that do
>> not contain a controller chip and only work on USB-compatible PS/2
>> mice. Those mice typically came with a USB adapter in the first place,
>> so if yours didn't it could be that you're fighting a losing battle.
>
> This is a vanilla PS/2 IBM rather old mouse (protocol ImPS/2).  I've grown
> font of it over the years ... Oh dear! how sad can a geek get!  O_O

I'm still using an old PS/2-style keyboard with said USB adapter as
well. It used to be white... now it's a dirty yellowish color. You can
have my keyboard when you pry it from my cold dead hands...

>> The larger "Y"-shaped keyboard/mouse-to-USB adapters usually support
>> non-USB-compatible PS/2 mice, though. I have one like this and it
>> works for me:
>> http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9291
>
> Does this Y-shaped dongle contain any electronics in it?  Otherwise it
> wouldn't be any different to a single connector.

AFAIK it does, at least the one I have seems to work with "dumb" mice
where the smaller connectors did not. I didn't buy mine from the site
I linked to, but mine looks identical and they're probably all made in
the same factory anyway.