On 08/03/2010 08:03 AM, Sebastián Ramírez Magrí wrote:

Hi folks...

I've been thinking about switching from a rsync based tree to a git
based one cloning [0]. The main reasons because I would do that is in
order to save bandwidth (I've a slow GSM connection in my netbook and
I sync two other gentoo boxes from the first one) and maybe time.

So here goes the question, Is a git based tree really going to save me
an appreciable bandwidth and time on syncing?, Can I keep the same
replication functionality rsync gives me to sync my other boxes?

[0] http://github.com/funtoo/portage/tree/gentoo.org

Git needs to move much less data around than rsync. It only transfers differences, not whole files.