On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 03:28:21PM -0700, walt wrote

> Does your BIOS let you set the AGP aperture manually?  Couldn't hurt to make
> it bigger if you're able.  The comment about 'stolen memory' sounds a bit
> evil ;)

  The BIOS only has options for 32/64/128 megabytes.  Intel cheaped out
with the on-board graphics, and used system ram, instead of its own ram.
I have 8 gigs on the machine, so 256 megs wouldn't hurt.

> I'm wondering if console framebuffer support is really necessary for Intel
> graphics chips, I dunno.  You could try disabling it in your kernel config
> to see if it make any difference.

  Selecting the i915 driver, or VESA, automatically forces framebuffer.
Any other selection, and X won't work.  Framebuffer is right down there
with hal and dbus in my list of unfavourite drivers.  Unfortunately, the
only other option is some form of VESA, which also requires framebuffer.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>