I just got this elog from updating my gentoo system.  It's from
freetype-2.4.2:
---------------------------- begin ------------------------------
LOG (postinst)

The TrueType bytecode interpreter is no longer patented and thus no
longer controlled by the bindist USE flag.  Enable the auto-hinter
USE flag if you want the old USE=bindist hinting behavior.
----------------------------- end  -------------------------------

So I looked up "auto-hinter" in the flagedit(1) program. It says:
>   auto-hinter: Local Flag: Use the unpatented auto-hinter instead of the
(recommended) TrueType bytecode interpreter (media-libs/freetype)

The placement of the "(recommended)" is just a bit ambiguous.  Is it
recommenting the unpatented  auto-hinter, or making a recommendation of the
TrueType bytecode interpreter?  I'm guessing the former, but not with
complete confidence.

I want clear font rendering, which I guess means using hints, and I've added
the auto-hinter use-flag in package.use.

I hope I guessed right.
--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD