Hi there!

I want to monitor the power status of my hard drives, so I wrote a little
script that gives me this output:

sda: standby
sdb: standby
sdc: active/idle 32°C
sdd: active/idle 37°C

This script is called every minute via an fcron entry, output goes into a
log file, and I use the file monitor plasmoid to watch this log file in
KDE.

It's working fine, but  also monitor my syslog in another file monitor
plamoid, and now I get lots of these entries:

Aug 21 14:21:06 [fcron] pam_unix(fcron:session): session opened for user root
by (uid=0)
Aug 21 14:21:06 [fcron] Job /usr/local/sbin/hdstate >> /var/log/hdstate started
for user root (pid 24483)
Aug 21 14:21:08 [fcron] Job /usr/local/sbin/hdstate >> /var/log/hdstate
completed
Aug 21 14:21:08 [fcron] pam_unix(fcron:session): session closed for user root

There is a nolog option for fcrontab, but I still get this output every
minute:

Aug 21 15:10:06 [fcron] pam_unix(fcron:session): session opened for user root
by (uid=0)
Aug 21 15:10:08 [fcron] pam_unix(fcron:session): session closed for user root

Hmmm... could it be that these entries do not come from fcron itself, but
from PAM? Do I need to look there so suppress them? And if so, would this
make sense? I want to suppress only these specific logs, not other stuff
that might be interesting.

Any ideas? It's nothing important, but maybe there's a simple solution,
and I like to learn. Don't knwo much about this PAM stuff yet.
Maybe I'll just start a background job for that instead of using fcron.

        Wonko