On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 2:01 PM, Alan Warren <bluemoonsh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am having some system performance issues with this kernel release. I have
> a SMP machine (dual xeon nehalem 8 core / 16 threads) with 24gb non-ecc
> memory.
>
> On occasion (seems random so far) my system feels like a Pentium II trying
> to cope with Vista. For example, I was in the middle of tar'ing a semi-large
> file and noticed all of my apps came to a crawl. Scrolling in firefox,
> typing in the terminal, or trying to navigate in my file manager resulted in
> breif "pauses" that came in waves. On one occasion my system froze
> completely and I had to manually reset the machine. (that was with
> 2.6.35-r1)
>
> I didn't activate anything "new" in this kernel release that I don't
> normally activate. ie, no cpuidle driver

Sounds exactly like the same problem I was having. I posted about it
recently on this list. Downgrading to the latest 2.6.34 made
everything work normally again.

> Is there a proper venu for debugging such matters, or should I just wait for
> this kernel to go prime-time?

Well, 2.6.35 is already prime-time as far as it has been released and
is not RC...

The proper way to debug would be to do a git bisect of the kernel.org
sources until you find the exact patch that broke things. I haven't
had time to attempt such a feat yet, so I'm just waiting patiently for
someone else to figure it out instead. :)