On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 7:27 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I had to replace an 4:3 Westinghouse monitor this weekend.  I got a new
> ASUS VH242H, which is very wide.  But Xorg is still running 1280x1024,
> instead of the monitor's normal 1920x1080, according to xorg logs because of
> lack of video memory (using the ATI on the motherboard).  I can make the
> screen use a 4:3 aspect ratio, so I'm up and running, much better than I
> started, but I'd like to do better.
>
> I guess I've gotta look for a video card, but all I have is PCIX slots, so
> I don't want to put a lot of money into it (I'll be upgrading the mobo when
> finances permit -- which is not right now.)
>
> Any ideas?

You'd kinda think that since AGP is kinda sorta a beefed up version of PCI,
kinda sorta like PCI-X, you ought to be able to find a boatload of cards
like this for the cheap on eBay. But finding one is like finding hen's
teeth. The only one I've found is a 3.3/5V 32/64bit 33/66MHz ATI card and
they're about $US500. The company that makes them does them for multi-head
displays such as NOC displays, etc, so if you can't spare the change for a
new mobo, then five hundred bucks for a video card in a worn-out bus format
is probably out of the question.

<rant>I've been looking for one for years now because I have this great Dell
server that just keeps on running and running but it has these beautiful 64
bit PCI-X slots just calling out for a decent video card -- but not
AGP!</rant>