On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 7:28 AM, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 25 August 2010 15:22, Bill Longman <bill.long...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 08/24/2010 08:36 PM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> >> In order to make progress on this thing, it's useful to be able to
> >> control the display manager.  My problem has been that going to
> /etc/init.d
> >> and commanding "./xdm stop" seems to work, but has no effect on KDE.
> >> Manually killing kde (ps -ef | grep kde, etc) just starts another one.
> >> I finally figured out that I have to find the 'kdm' process and kill
> >> that, then a logoff or Ctl_Alt_BS actually gets rid of X, so I can do
> >> things like
> >> "X -configure" and so on.
> >
> [snip]
>

> Running /etc/init.d/xdm stop should kill kdm too.  If it respawns,
> then run /etc/init.d/xdm zap.
> --
> Regards,
> Mick

zap does nothing about respawning.  It is used when a daemon has somehow
died,
but is still marked as running.  In such a case, you cannot start it again
without zapping
that marking so that it is recorded as being stopped.

I had more or less the opposite case -- a running daemon that was marked as
stopped.
Not exactly, because it was xdm marked as stopped, and kdm that was running.

This problem is repeatable on my system, so I probably borked it somehow.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD