Hi folks,

I been putting this off but it looks like the newer kernels are going to push me to changing this real soon. I have a older system, Abit NF7 2.0 motherboard with the older IDE drives. I'm still using the older IDE drivers. This is what I have currently:

hda  Actual hard drive  OS on this
hdb  Actual hard drive  Not in use
hdc  Actual hard drive  home partition
hdd  DVD burner  Duh!  It's a burner.
sda   Actual hard drive connected through a SATA PCI card.   Misc stuff.

So, hda has the Gentoo OS on it and hdc is my /hone directory. I have videos, mp3's and various other data on sda. Currently hdb is not being used, since for those who keep up with my threads would know, it is the one that is terribly slow. Something along the lines of 10Mbs/sec or something of that nature. It's just hard to get out of the case right now and I can't get to it with a hammer either. :/

My theory is something like this: hda will become sda; hdb will become sdb; hdc will become sdc; hdd will become sdd; and sda will become sde. Would that be a logical expectation? Anybody see anything that may cause a hiccup on this change? I know I have to update fstab before rebooting. I may also have a sledge hammer or a really big shotgun close by, just in case it gets any bad ideas like messing up /home. ;-)

I'm currently using this:

AMD and nVidia IDE support

This would be the new, possibly improved, version of things:

AMD/NVidia PATA support

Correct?

I'm just wanting to cover a few bases and make sure I am on the right track and understand things before I blow up something.

Thanks.

Dale

:-)  :-)