On 09/01/2010 03:38 AM, Dale wrote:
Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
On 08/27/2010 12:49 PM, Dale wrote:
Is there a way to boot a Gentoo/Knoppix CD and make it use the PATA
drivers? That way I can boot it and see exactly how it will name them
and what drive is what without actually changing anything at all. Is
there a boot option "noide" or some other switch I can use?

You do the labeling *before* you switch to the new kernel. Once you
get it working correctly with your current kernel, then you can
upgrade to the new ATA drivers and it will just work (which is the
whole point of this exercise.)

OK. Finally got updated to a new kernel. [...]

Anyway, this did sort of work out to be weird and not what I expected at
all. I expected the drives to be laid out in this way:

sda first drive with old ide
sdb second drive with old ide
sdc third drive with old ide
sdd forth drive with a SATA controller

Well, it actually sees the drive connected to the SATA controller first
then the other drives follow along after that in order.

I mentioned this in a reply :P Usually SATA drives go first. (Emphasis on "usually.")

Naturally when I
first tried to boot I was pointing to sda6 for my root partition. Well,
it was actually on sdb6. It did list the drives just before the error
and the blinking lights on the keyboard. No scroll back either. :-( I
saw just enough to be able to figure out what drives were what.

Is there some way to get it to change this or am I stuck? My concern is
that I plan to add another drive to the SATA card soon and that will
move everything up another notch. I would really like the IDE drives to
be seen first since I rarely change them.

What exactly is the problem you have? You can't boot? You can simply hit "Esc" in grub and go to text-only mode, and then "e" to edit the current grub boot entry. There you can boot from somewhere else.