On Friday 10 September 2010 10:43:30 Jake Moe wrote:
>   On 10/09/2010 5:27 PM, Maciej Grela wrote:
> > 2010/9/10 Jake Moe<jakesaddr...@gmail.com>:
> >>   Hello all,
> >>
> >> I've been thinking about creating a Gentoo USB stick for install and
> >> rescue purposes (and, of course, just to see if I could).  I've mostly
> >> followed the Gentoo handbook (I used a single 4GB partition for the
> >> whole system, and no swap).  I've used genkernel for the kernel (so I
> >> can have a multi-system capable kernel).  I've gotten GRUB installed
> >> and working.  My problem comes in after what I believe is the init
> >> process:
> >>

> >> Gentoo Linux; http://www.gentoo.org
> >>
> >>   Copyright 1999-2009 Gentoo Foundation; Distributed under the GPLv2
> >>
> >> Press I to enter interactive boot mode
> >>
> >>   * Mounting proc at /proc ...
> >>     [
> >>
> >> ok ]
> >>
> >>   * Mounting sysfs at /sys ...
> >>     [
> >>
> >> ok ]
> >>
> >>   * Mounting /dev ...
> >>     [
> >>
> >> ok ]
> >>
> >>   * Starting udevd ...
> >>     [
> >>
> >> ok ]
> >>
> >>   * Populating /dev with existing devices through uevents ...
> >>     [
> >>
> >> ok ]
> >>
> >>   * Waiting for uevents to be processed ...
> >>     [
> >>
> >> ok ]
> >>
> >>   * Mounting devpts at /dev/pts ...
> >>     [
> >>
> >> ok ]
> >>
> >>   * Checking root filesystem ...
> >>
> >> fsck.ext2: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/sda1
> >> /dev/sda1:
> >> The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
> >> filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
> >> filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
> >>
> >> is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate
superblock:
> >>     e2fsck -b 8193<device>
> >>
> >>   * Filesystem couldn't be fixed :(
> >>     [
> >>
> >> !! ]
> >> Give root password for maintenance
> >> (or type Control-D to continue):
> >>

> >> If I give the root password, I can find no /dev/sda1.  However, mount
> >> shows /dev/sda1 on /, and there *is* a /sys/block/sda folders, with a
> >> sda1 folder in that as well.  It's almost like it had /dev/sda1, but
> >> then lost it somehow.
> >>
> >> Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?  Any help would be
> >> appreciated.
> >
> > Have you seen http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page ? It's based on
> > Gentoo, you could check what they did to boot from a usb stick.
> >
> > Br,
> > Maciej Grela
>
> Excellent, thanks for that, I hadn't found it in my previous searches.
> I'll have a look there.
>
> Jake Moe

Had a similar issue a while ago when I was playing around with this myself.

Take a look at the linux boot parameters.

The 'theoretical' part is: You need to let the kernel initialize the USB-stick
before trying to access it. (This can take some time)

There is a delay-option, just can't remember the proper name off-hand.

--
Joost