> As I'm in an office, there is no concrete nearby for anything to be in.

Lol. Well, there are some other meanings in the latin word concretus.
The didn't even have that bleak modern material. We have a different
name for it in german and use concretus more in the original sense.

> If you're asking what, specifically, I mean by "it starts", my previous
> posts show how far into the boot process it gets.  If I specify by
> /dev/sda1, eventually it gets to checking that partition for errors, but
> fails to find the partition.  If I specify by LABEL, then it tells me it

I am still asking myself, if it is the USB stick at all that you see
starting. Couldn't it be a kernel from the inbuild hard disk? ... wich
you would *hear* in that case ... maybe even smell or feel ...

Hence I ask you if there linux kernel on the first or second partition
of your disk.

Al