Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
On 09/19/2010 12:15 PM, Dale wrote:
Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
On 09/19/2010 11:25 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
Apparently, though unproven, at 16:45 on Saturday 18 September 2010,
Florian
Philipp did opine thusly:

Hi list!

I have a bit of a problem. I'm on KDE-4.4.5 and it eats memory for
breakfast. Directly after booting, everything is okay but the usage
grows significantly. I wonder whether this is expected behavior.

The following statistics have been taken after 8 days of uptime during
which the system was on standby most of the time during work days
and at
night.

free -m
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 3754 3588 165 0 57 258
-/+ buffers/cache: 3271 482
Swap: 6142 978 5163
[...]

Like I posted in another thread today, the memory columns in top do
not mean
what most people think they mean, nor are they simplistic.

However, the values reported by "free -m" are somewhat useful and
indicate that something is very wrong with memory consumption on his
system.

This is my free -m:

r...@smoker / # free -m
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 2024 1934 89 0 380 657
-/+ buffers/cache: 896 1127
Swap: 478 0 478
r...@smoker / #

I have less memory installed but if I understand this correctly, I have
more trouble than he does.

Why? It reports 896MB usage vs 3271MB in Florian's system. Looks pretty normal to me.

I THINK I read he was up for about 8 days. I had just booted up a little bit ago. Looking at the Mem line, I am using almost all of my memory already. I was also keeping in mind that the OP has about double the memory that I have. I'm just not sure what exactly is wrong with his either. It was more of a question than anything.

He is using a lot of swap but that can be adjusted by setting the swappiness file with a lower value IF he wants to do that. I have mine set to 20 or so. I prefer to keep as much in memory as possible but at the same time, I don't want to crash if say GIMP gets a little memory hungry when I open 300 images all at once. I did that once. It took a while. lol

I was always told that Linux uses memory a lot better than most other OS's especially M$. Cache as much as possible and run faster which means it will use all the memory at some point. Mine does that way and always has. Since the kernel handles all this, I'm not sure what the OP can do to fix anything unless it is a kernel bug. Then a upgrade may be the sure. I guess?

Dale

:-)  :-)