On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 9:46 AM, Grant <emailgr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just switched to a new WD Caviar Black hard drive (really fast and
> quiet!) and I noticed some errors when I was cp -ax'ing everything
> from my old drive to the new drive which were accompanied by loud
> clicks.  Is there a way to do a comprehensive test/check of the old
> drive to see if it has any problems?
>
> - Grant

I know it's not a popular solution here in Linux-land, and it's pretty
slow for large drives, but I still use SpinRite for that sort of
thing.

As a quick test, if the old drive has S.M.A.R.T. is to read the data
held in the drive to tell you if the on-board controller is seeing
problems.

Hope this helps,
Mark