> Thanks Alan!
> Unfortunately, I don't understand how this can work.
> Simplify using PREFIX failed for me since many packages record the
> full path for configuration/data/help files etc. in the generated
> binaries or libraries.
> When moving such an application/library it will still search for
> those files in the build directory.
> I would image Portage uses some sort of chroot (then the pathes are
> identical)

Impossible! Alan does not know how to compile? ;-) He's been up to early.

Have a look into the build.log and you find the answer:

make -j3
DESTDIR=/home/prefix/gentoo/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/texinfo-4.13/image/
install

So it's not configure but make who takes the temporary install directory.

PREFIX is indeed the final target.

Al