Adam Carter <adamcarter3 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Taring my mp3 collection from 2.5in 500MB internal sata drive
> (sda) to esata 3.5in 500MB drive (sdb) and it seems slow.

Well, there are multiple avenues to nail down your specific issues,
most documented or hinted at in the archives of this list.....

Here is some fuel for thought, on a higher plain:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Btrfs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-tree

So you have at least (2) issues.

1. Your specific hardware
http://www.coker.com.au/bonnie++/
bonnie is also in portage
[eix bonnie]

2. The longer view of increasing
file system performance, particularly
in a distributed resources environment:

(CEPHGS, GlusterFS, BTRFS, others?) is the subject
of a hot debate, probably overdue for the devs
or the brilliant, on this list, to update
us commoners? (here goes another religious war!)

hth,
James