Gentoo networking is a bit on the wild side - it doesnt seem to work
nicely with third party tools without a lot of work.

My fix was to manually configure each location (and a couple of general
ones such as wifi hotspot, and basic wired dhcp) as I came across them
and copy the resulting config files to separate directories.  Then when
I need to return to a location I just copy the matching set of files
back and restart services.  Allows a "profile" based approach based on
site - some need different screen resolutions, apache or bind running,
external projector, firewall settings for VoIP or not and so on - all
able to be scripted.

Very flexible as I control it with a shell script linked to a gtkdialog
for site selection one click to open dialog, second click selects site.
I have decided not to automate site selection (such as netwwork
detection on cable plugin) as I wanted control :)

So my reccomendation is forget networkmanager (particularly that heap
of !#$#%$@) and the like and roll your own.

BillK