On Saturday 02 October 2010 11:31:38 meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> fetchmail's log told me, that there is something wrong with the setup
> of the certificats.
>
> In the log there is the following section
>     fetchmail: Server certificate:
>     fetchmail: Issuer Organization: Thawte Consulting cc
>     fetchmail: Issuer CommonName: Thawte Premium Server CA
>     fetchmail: Subject CommonName: pop.gmx.net
>     fetchmail: pop.gmx.net key fingerprint:
> A6:57:BC:4A:97:AD:DB:99:00:E9:3A:B8:81:55:D7:B6 fetchmail: Server
> certificate verification error: unable to get local issuer certificate
> fetchmail: This means that the root signing certificate (issued for
> /C=DE/ST=Bayern/L=Munich/O=GMX GmbH/CN=pop.gmx.net) is not in the trusted
> CA certificate locations, or that c_rehash needs to be run on the
> certificate directory. For details, please see the documentation of
> --sslcertpath and --sslcertfile in the manual page. fetchmail: Server
> certificate:
>     fetchmail: Issuer Organization: Thawte Consulting cc
>     fetchmail: Issuer CommonName: Thawte Premium Server CA
>     fetchmail: Subject CommonName: pop.gmx.net
>     fetchmail: Server certificate verification error: certificate not
> trusted fetchmail: Server certificate:
>     fetchmail: Issuer Organization: Thawte Consulting cc
>     fetchmail: Issuer CommonName: Thawte Premium Server CA
>     fetchmail: Subject CommonName: pop.gmx.net
>     fetchmail: Server certificate verification error: unable to verify the
> first certificate fetchmail: Warning: the connection is insecure,
> continuing anyways. (Better use --sslcertck!)
>

> In beforehand I did the following:
>
> From the output of this command
>     #> openssl s_client -connect pop.gmx.net:995 -showcerts
>
> I copied the section
>
>     -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
>     MIIDUzCCArygAwIBAgIQDNZUbIDJ5EM+DVSd5AzXOjANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQUFADCB
>     zjELMAkGA1UEBhMCWkExFTATBgNVBAgTDFdlc3Rlcm4gQ2FwZTESMBAGA1UEBxMJ
>     Q2FwZSBUb3duMR0wGwYDVQQKExRUaGF3dGUgQ29uc3VsdGluZyBjYzEoMCYGA1UE
>     CxMfQ2VydGlmaWNhdGlvbiBTZXJ2aWNlcyBEaXZpc2lvbjEhMB8GA1UEAxMYVGhh
>     d3RlIFByZW1pdW0gU2VydmVyIENBMSgwJgYJKoZIhvcNAQkBFhlwcmVtaXVtLXNl
>     cnZlckB0aGF3dGUuY29tMB4XDTEwMDQyMjAwMDAwMFoXDTEzMDUwOTIzNTk1OVow
>     WDELMAkGA1UEBhMCREUxDzANBgNVBAgTBkJheWVybjEPMA0GA1UEBxQGTXVuaWNo
>     MREwDwYDVQQKFAhHTVggR21iSDEUMBIGA1UEAxQLcG9wLmdteC5uZXQwgZ8wDQYJ
>     KoZIhvcNAQEBBQADgY0AMIGJAoGBAMu3VYZP3YqpNweeIp+zIYtAlYL9Nya5hq6j
>     k+ShUtukV1746nqJto70+4oNhCYJ33mMw+vS5fODjuggG+Z1xcL5YU8mUyG2E7fH
>     YkfNtHHMhRntN15ml7Kv3c52kmOI09r2psnlNPkkNx5shneON8jZfXYlqQq5Vq1l
>     Hz+jEjFrAgMBAAGjgaYwgaMwDAYDVR0TAQH/BAIwADBABgNVHR8EOTA3MDWgM6Ax
>     hi9odHRwOi8vY3JsLnRoYXd0ZS5jb20vVGhhd3RlU2VydmVyUHJlbWl1bUNBLmNy
>     bDAdBgNVHSUEFjAUBggrBgEFBQcDAQYIKwYBBQUHAwIwMgYIKwYBBQUHAQEEJjAk
>     MCIGCCsGAQUFBzABhhZodHRwOi8vb2NzcC50aGF3dGUuY29tMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEB
>     BQUAA4GBAF/BVQRh2QOAtH8491d2XIKqdRZNY4OUMh6qccb0xLGNTDx3E4iwoYHc
>     yi2axElQG+7VAEIbDftzfhVUttsPwLI0BM2Nvz6KkwnlrJmt9HuZOjyv9M6szCxX
>     jHqVXkTDtrvRzT3hHTLD63l4PAqAUDpR4Th4N23IyxpgVqmYZwoJ
>     -----END CERTIFICATE-----

> [...]

Sendmail and I think fetchmail (haven't used the latter yet) do a strict check
of certs against a local store.  The error above tells you to add to your
.fetchmailrc the option of sslcertck.  Did you do that?

So your .fetchmailrc should show something like:

user 'm...@gmx_whatever.com' with pass "123456"  is 'mcc' here options ssl
sslcertck  sslcertpath '/etc/fetchmail/certs'

If you have done the above and still does not work then the problem may be
that the user you are running fetchmail as does not have read access to your
/etc/fetchmail/certs.  Change that to a ~/fetchmail/.certs and it should work.

HTH.
--
Regards,
Mick