> We successfully operate some HP Proliant DL380 G3, using Gentoo Xen-kernels
> as Dom0 and DomU.
> Now i tried to upgrade to Generation 4 and 6:
> * HP Proliant DL380 G4
> * HP Proliant DL380 G6
>
> Grub works fine. After selecting a kernel to boot, it is loaded and starts
> operating and fails some lines later with a kernel panic. The kernel seems
> not to find the HP SCSI controller (/dev/cciss/...).
>
> I made sure, that the kernel has build in the needed drivers as described
> here:
>  http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/HP_ProLiant_DL380_G5

Did you remember to build the filesystem drivers into the kernel (ie not as
a module) and follow the directions on building the hardware drivers into
the kernel as well?

> Funny is, that the Gentoo boot images do work, for example
> install-x86-minimal-20100216.iso.

If /proc/config.gz exists when you boot from that image you could compare
that to the .config file that you're using to see what the differences are.