Richard Fish wrote:

I am currently using 'dar' to backup to external USB hard disk.

I thought of this too, but I don't know how to "power-off" usb-disk
remotelly. On the other side, after burning and unmounting dvd-r,
dvd-drive stops spinning (kind of overheating protection)...

5. chroot, 6. install boot loader

Is it not possible to archive MBR too? That way I could save 5. and
6., and to automate it with some scripts...

One last thing, if you've only got a single CD/DVD drive, you are probably going to have an issue to have both the live CD and the backup

Time to look for an old dvd-rom drive...

Jarry