On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 04:43:55AM +0200, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote

>                         System Settings

> CFLAGS="-march=amdfam10 -O2 -pipe -msse3"

  Let the compiler figure out the CPU.  Change that line to...
 CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"

> CXXFLAGS="-march=amdfam10 -O2 -pipe -msse3"

  The recommended way of doing things here is...

 CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

...which exactly copies whatever settings you have there.
Synchronization between CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS becomes automatic this way.

> MAKEOPTS="-j 12"

Arrrrrrrrgh Nooooooooo!!!  That's probably your problem right there.
The recommendation in the manual is N+1, where N == number of cores.  Do
you have 11 or more cores?  I find that even that isn't always safe.  I
set...

 MAKEOPTS="-j 1"

and it solves quite a few problems.  Note that the final binary is just
as fast, regardless of that setting.  The compile speed is somewhat
faster with a higher number.  But you quickly lose any "time savings"
from that, the first time you waste several hours trying to figure out
why something isn't compiling.  MAKEOPTS="-j 1" should be mandatory.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>