Hi all.

I've never had this much trouble with a server before, but I've been pulling
my hair out.

The install seemed to go well, but when I rebooted it from it's own hard
drive, it fails.  fsck claims that it can't open /dev/sda3 or that the
superblock doesn't describe a valid ext2 filesystem.

However, when I reboot from the live CD, it mounts just fine and fsck says
it's clean.

Here is the /etc/fstab:
/dev/sda1       /boot           ext2            noauto,noatime  1 2
/dev/sda3       /               ext2            noatime         0 1
/dev/sda2       none            swap            sw              0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom      auto            noauto,ro       0 0
shm                     /dev/shm        tmpfs   nodev,nosuid,noexec     0 0

Here is the /boot/grub/grub.conf file:
default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title Gentoo Linux
root (hd0,0)
kernel /bzImage root=/dev/sda3

I've verified that ext2 and ext3 are in the kernel statically.  I've also
compiled in ALL of the SATA drivers, statically.

What am I missing?

--

Take care and have fun,
Mike Diehl.